We are hiring for a Communications Coordinator (permanent, full-time) to join the Development Team. Read the full job description here.
About Media Defence
Media Defence is a charity that helps media to defend their rights. We support independent media, journalists and citizen journalists who are under legal threat by making sure that lawyers are available to defend them. We engage in strategic litigation to improve the regulatory environment for media freedom, make grants to organisations in various countries to run media defence programmes, and build the capacity of the lawyers and organisations we work with on issues of media law.
Media Defence was set up in 2008 and has established itself as a leader in the field. To date, we have supported over 1,300 cases, helping hundreds of journalists in over 110 countries. Our work has helped prevent over 300 years of detention for media workers and avoided £500m in damages. We have supported 40 partners and have trained 144 lawyers.
About the role
As Communications Coordinator, you will support the Development team across all their communications and administrative needs, so that the organisation can deliver on its 2020-2024 Strategy objectives. Your main job responsibilities will be centred on organising and managing the admin that supports our work, including managing our social media, providing statistics for weekly, monthly and quarterly reporting, updating our website with press releases, blog posts and new legal resources, and attending events.
You will be an enthusiastic team player as a lot of your tasks will involve and require input from other team members, from scheduling meetings to the coordination of the production of case studies, writing social media content and press releases.
Managing Social Media
- Create and upload social media content to various platforms such as Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn
- Oversee the growth of our LinkedIn and Instagram pages
- Create and/or support the creation of infographics, visuals and video content
- Promote upcoming events and speaking engagements
- Engage with the work of other freedom of expression organisations over social media to cement our position as an expert voice in the sector
- Contribute to our social media strategy
- Regularly collect and assess data and analytics across a variety of digital platforms
- Based on your analysis of that data, make recommendations for expanding or improving both
- public image and online presence
- Update our CRM system and mailing lists when relevant
- Produce and/or coordinate the production of clear, concise and professional press releases, articles, blog posts and email campaigns
- Coordinate the production of case studies
Managing and Maintaining Website
- Regularly update our website, add blog posts and ensure all pages are fully up to date, including relevant tags
- Work closely with the Legal team so that the Legal Resources page has new content on a regular basis
- Support the Capacity Building Manager with the dissemination of all Project communication materials
- Coordinate and assist with the production of newsletters, blog posts and podcasts
- Assist with the development, design and publication of our publications (i.e. Annual Report, Journalists Impact Survey)
- Assist the team with presentations, proof-reading, editing videos and making sure external materials are in keeping with our brand guidelines
- Support our image bank, to ensure it has the best available images for communications purposes
- Send fortnightly internal updates to the wider team
- Work with the Capacity Building team to strengthen collaboration with our funded partner organisations in different countries
- Explore other opportunities for outreach and growth
- Identify and carry out any other duties which fall within the scope, spirit and purpose of the post as requested
- Educated to at least degree level
- Excellent written and spoken English, good editorial skills and the ability to communicate with diverse communities and varied audiences
- Competent IT user including Microsoft Office Packages, internet and email
- Ability to use CMS and Google Analytics
- Familiar with publishing programs like Adobe and InDesign
- High level of personal integrity and commitment to the values of the organisation
- Ability to work flexibly and collaboratively to tight deadlines
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
- Ability to manage a varied workload
- Proven experience of working with, and relating to, a diverse range of people and a pleasant, diplomatic manner and disposition in interacting with colleagues at all levels, as well as with Media Defence partners
- Proven ability to organise and manage competing priorities
- Passion and commitment to the mission and vision of Media Defence
- Right to work in the UK
- Experience with databases/CRM systems
- Experience with MailChimp, Canva, HootSuite and other communications and marketing platforms
- Experience of, and an interest in, working for a ‘not for profit’ and in a human rights environment would be an advantage
- Good working knowledge of (written) French or Spanish
- Basic skills in photography
- Pension: Contributory pension scheme (employer matched contribution up to 8%)
- Annual leave: 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays
- Week off for Christmas and New Year, at the Board’s discretion
- Opportunity to carry over five days into the following annual leave year
- Days’ start/finish time is flexible
- Early finish on Fridays (16:00), and 14:00 the first Friday of each month
- Friendly and supportive team culture
- On joining Media Defence, all employees are automatically able to access professional support through our Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) provided by Health Assured Limited and through a digital health app, Peppy
- We offer an enhanced maternity and paternity leave package
- We provide a range of training and development tools to offer support our employees to improve or develop skills and knowledge for the benefit of both the individual and the organisation
Equality and diversity are fundamental to our mission. We are committed to the recruitment and retention of individuals from diverse backgrounds and who reflect the diverse communities in which we operate.
Read the full job description here.
If you are interested in applying for this role, please email your CV and covering letter referencing ‘Communications Coordinator’ to email@example.com.
Closing Date: 16 June 2023.
Interviews will take place w/c 19 and 26 June 2023.
The Hungarian Civil Liberties Union and its coordinated fight against the use of Pegasus spyware
Welcome to the latest instalment of our Partners blog series. In this series, we interview our partners from around the world about their critical work in protecting freedom of expression. This time we spoke to Dalma Dojcsák, Executive Director of the Hungarian Civil Liberties Union (HCLU), about spyware. HCLU is one of Media Defence’s partner organisations. Founded […]
Learning Report 2022
Read our Learning Report 2022 Media Defence values the importance of learning and improvement. We undertake a variety of internal and external evaluations each year in order to understand the effectiveness and relevance of our programmes, ensuring that we learn from the experiences of the lawyers and journalists involved. We also do this to explore […]
Online threats, intimidation and judicial harassment against environmental journalist Alberto Castaño
Alberto Castaño is an environmental journalist supported by our partner Fundación para la Libertad de Prensa (FLIP). FLIP is a non-governmental organisation that promotes press freedom in Colombia. It also oversees the rights of citizens to be informed. Since 1996, FLIP has assisted more than 2000 Colombian journalists at risk. As an environmental journalist working […]