To conduct strategic litigation, provide case support to lawyers representing media and (citizen) journalists, deliver trainings on media law and strategic litigation, help assess grant applications, and help with communications via social media and through other channels, working closely with the Legal Director, Senior Legal Officers and Legal and Grants Officer.
- Strategic litigation
- Developing strategic cases in the field of freedom of expression law and digital rights
- Undertaking legal and factual research, including on comparative and international law on freedom of expression and related issues, and the legal environment in different countries
- Case management
- Drafting and/or editing briefs and other litigation materials as required, including amicus briefs
- Helping maintain contacts with pro bono lawyers and other Media Defence partners
- Assisting in the preparation of Media Defence’s litigation strategy
- Grant making and case support
- Assisting the Legal and Grants Officer in vetting grant applications and preparing case assessments
- As the primary point of contact for local lawyers receiving a grant from Media Defence, assessing their need for case support and providing any support that may be necessary, e.g. providing advice on case strategy, reviewing proposed legal arguments or conducting research
- Analysing case outcomes
- Updating Media Defence’s training modules and materials on a regular basis
- Delivering trainings on strategic litigation at regional mechanisms and free speech online
- Other responsibilities
- Assisting Media Defence team members in reporting to Media Defence’s board and donors by providing data regarding Media Defence’s case work in a timely manner
- Representing Media Defence at public events at home and abroad as required
- Contributing to the website and other materials for external use as required including drafting blogs and legal updates as well as contributing to social media content.
- Recruiting and managing legal volunteers
To see the full role description, salary range and specifications, click here.
How to Apply
If you are interested in applying for this role, please send your application, referencing ‘Legal Officer’, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your application must include:
- your CV; and
- a covering letter (max. two pages), explaining your motivation for applying for the role, along with how you will meet the criteria in the Person Specification.
The closing date for applications is 31 October 2022.
If you have any questions relating to the role or the process, or would like any adjustments made to accommodate your needs, please contact us at email@example.com.
We’re hiring: Finance and Operations Director
We are recruiting a Finance and Operations Director to lead on finance, human resources, IT and operations within our international NGO. About Media Defence Media Defence is a charity that helps media to defend their rights. We support independent media, journalists and citizen journalists who are under legal threat by making sure that lawyers are […]
Lawyer Impact Survey 2022
About the survey Read our Lawyer Impact Survey 2022 In 2022, we carried out our third Lawyer Impact Survey to assess the impact of our support to lawyers. We support lawyers with both our emergency defence and our strategic litigation programmes. Through these programmes, we offer pro bono legal support, as well as financial support […]
Join the team! We are hiring for a Communications Coordinator
We are hiring for a Communications Coordinator (permanent, full-time) to join the Development Team. Read the full job description here. About Media Defence Media Defence is a charity that helps media to defend their rights. We support independent media, journalists and citizen journalists who are under legal threat by making sure that lawyers are available […]