To conduct strategic litigation, provide case support to lawyers representing media and (citizen) journalists, deliver trainings on media law and strategic litigation, help assess grant applications, and help with communications via social media and through other channels, working closely with the Legal Director, Senior Legal Officers and Legal and Grants Officer.
- Strategic litigation
- Developing strategic cases in the field of freedom of expression law and digital rights
- Undertaking legal and factual research, including on comparative and international law on freedom of expression and related issues, and the legal environment in different countries
- Case management
- Drafting and/or editing briefs and other litigation materials as required, including amicus briefs
- Helping maintain contacts with pro bono lawyers and other Media Defence partners
- Assisting in the preparation of Media Defence’s litigation strategy
- Grant making and case support
- Assisting the Legal and Grants Officer in vetting grant applications and preparing case assessments
- As the primary point of contact for local lawyers receiving a grant from Media Defence, assessing their need for case support and providing any support that may be necessary, e.g. providing advice on case strategy, reviewing proposed legal arguments or conducting research
- Analysing case outcomes
- Updating Media Defence’s training modules and materials on a regular basis
- Delivering trainings on strategic litigation at regional mechanisms and free speech online
- Other responsibilities
- Assisting Media Defence team members in reporting to Media Defence’s board and donors by providing data regarding Media Defence’s case work in a timely manner
- Representing Media Defence at public events at home and abroad as required
- Contributing to the website and other materials for external use as required including drafting blogs and legal updates as well as contributing to social media content.
- Recruiting and managing legal volunteers
To see the full role description, salary range and specifications, click here.
How to Apply
If you are interested in applying for this role, please send your application, referencing ‘Legal Officer’, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your application must include:
- your CV; and
- a covering letter (max. two pages), explaining your motivation for applying for the role, along with how you will meet the criteria in the Person Specification.
The closing date for applications is 31 October 2022.
If you have any questions relating to the role or the process, or would like any adjustments made to accommodate your needs, please contact us at email@example.com.
LPM Lintas: Indonesian student magazine shut down after reporting on sexual harassment investigation
At the State Institute of Islamic Studies (IAIN) in Ambon, Indonesia, student magazine LPM Lintas was shut down in March 2022 after publishing the results of an investigation into allegations of sexual harassment at the university. The investigation relied on the testimony of dozens of students. The university’s rector subsequently issued a decree to close […]
Durante años, la periodista Claudia Julieta Duque fue sometida a una prolongada campaña de tortura psicológica a manos de la extinta policía secreta colombiana, el Departamento Administrativo de Seguridad (DAS). Desde 2001, Duque se enfrentó a una persecución implacable, desde el secuestro hasta la incesante invasión de su intimidad, pasando por la vigilancia ilegal de […]
For over two decades journalist Claudia Duque was subjected to a prolonged campaign of psychological torture at the hands of the now-defunct Colombian secret police, the Department of Security (DAS). Since 2001, Duque faced relentless persecution — from kidnapping to the ceaseless invasion of her privacy, encompassing illegal surveillance of phone calls, emails, and bank […]