Media Defence is a global charity that helps media defend their rights. We support independent media, journalists and citizen journalists who are under legal threat by making sure that lawyers are available to defend them. We engage in strategic litigation to improve the regulatory environment for media freedom, make grants to organisations in various countries to run media defence programmes, and build the capacity of the lawyers and organisations we work with on issues of media law.
The role leads the collection of monitoring, evaluation and learning data in relation to Media Defence’s work, ensuring learnings are implemented and data is up to date. Using this and other relevant information, this role provides vital data to support the CEO, Development Director and Fundraising Officer in preparing and making both funding applications, donor and internal reports.
- Monitor and evaluate grant and programme effectiveness
- Lead the development and implementation of Media Defence’s monitoring and evaluation framework and evaluation and learning strategies
- Support donor reporting activities
- Develop appropriate performance indicators and benchmarks
- Drive a culture of learning in the organisation by communicating key findings with the team during debrief sessions
- Work with the Management Team to drive the organisation’s strategy by leading Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) activities.
- Play a pivotal role in creating impact by utilising M&E data for strategic decision-making for the organisation.
- Gather and analyse data (including through surveys, web statistics, interviews, unsolicited feedback, case studies and reports) and ensure the resulting information can be understood and communicated for internal learning as well as external reporting
- Carry out partner evaluations in collaboration with the Capacity Building Manager
- Facilitate direct communication with partners, journalists, and other stakeholders to collect valuable feedback and input for evaluations.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual internal performance and progress reports for both the management team and the board of trustees
- Provide advice to staff and partner organisations on monitoring and evaluation needs, such as the identification of priorities and indicators; the design, set up and use of monitoring and evaluation systems; and the design of evaluation and learning studies
- In collaboration with the CEO, Development Director, Finance and Operations Director and Fundraising and Communications Officer, help coordinate the production and communication of impact reports and the annual review
- Research, collate and prepare data for CEO and Development Director to support grant and fundraising applications
- Manage and report on monitoring, evaluation and learning activity budget and expenses to the CEO and the Finance and Operations Director
- Produce monitoring, evaluation and learning-related blog content in order to communicate key learnings to a broader audience
- Identify and carry out any other duties which fall within the scope, spirit and purpose of the post as requested
- Such other tasks as may from time to time be required
- Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills, suited to preparing professional external and internal reports
- Experience of analysing, collating and reviewing data
- Experience in organisational strategy or impact
- Positive and can-do attitude, creative, flexible and enthusiastic, with a commitment to excellence and professionalism
- Proficient IT user including Microsoft Office Packages, internet and email
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, excellent written and spoken English and the ability to communicate clearly with non native English speakers
- Highly organised, with attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Experience using project information and data from Excel or database to inform bids or reports
- Integrity, professional discretion and ability to handle confidential matters
- Experience of and an interest in international human rights, law or journalism
- A strong commitment to equal opportunities and diversity in the workplace
- Eligible to work in the UK
Equality and diversity are fundamental to our mission. We are committed to the recruitment and retention of individuals from diverse backgrounds and who reflect the diverse communities in which we operate.
To apply for this role, please email your CV and covering letter referencing ‘Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Officer’ to email@example.com.
Closing Date: 15 November 2023 by 5pm
Interviews will take place w/c 20 and 27 November 2023.
Click here to view the full job description.
Durante años, la periodista Claudia Julieta Duque fue sometida a una prolongada campaña de tortura psicológica a manos de la extinta policía secreta colombiana, el Departamento Administrativo de Seguridad (DAS). Desde 2001, Duque se enfrentó a una persecución implacable, desde el secuestro hasta la incesante invasión de su intimidad, pasando por la vigilancia ilegal de […]
For over two decades journalist Claudia Duque was subjected to a prolonged campaign of psychological torture at the hands of the now-defunct Colombian secret police, the Department of Security (DAS). Since 2001, Duque faced relentless persecution — from kidnapping to the ceaseless invasion of her privacy, encompassing illegal surveillance of phone calls, emails, and bank […]
Lilian Olivia Orero is an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya and Award-winning writer based in Nairobi, Kenya. Lilian Olivia participated in our women-only litigation surgeries as part of our EWDRA project. Here she gave a presentation on strategies that journalists in sub-Saharan Africa can use to help them stay safe online amidst ever […]