Module 5: Trends in Censorship by Private Actors
Advanced Modules on Digital Rights and Freedom of Expression Online in sub-Saharan Africa
This module aims to:
- Give an overview of ways in which non-state actors facilitate online censorship.
- Set out the international and regional legal principles that are implicated by online censorship.
- Unpack the concept of net neutrality.
- Examine the misuse of intermediary liability to curb expression and access.
- Explore the right to be forgotten.
- Explain the monitoring obligations of search engines and platforms.