Purpose of the consultancy contract
The purpose of the consultancy contract is for a French-speaking trainer to create recorded presentations and host discussions sessions for lawyers in West and Central Africa on digital rights and freedom of expression online.
Media Defence’s vision is a world where journalists no longer face legal challenges that threaten their ability to report freely and independently on issues of public interest, allowing citizens to be better informed, able to hold those in power to account.
Media Defence’s mission is to ensure legal protection of journalists and media workers under threat for reporting on issues of public interest, in the belief that freedom of expression is essential.
One of Media Defence’s core activities is the delivery of litigation surgeries in East, West and Southern Africa. These litigation surgeries aim to increase the knowledge, skills and confidence of lawyers to litigate digital rights and online freedom of expression cases at national and regional courts.
Francophone West and Central Africa Litigation Surgery
Media Defence is looking to hire a French-speaking consultant to record presentations litigation surgery on digital rights and freedom of expression online. The trainer would develop these presentations in collaboration with Media Defence based on the Summary Modules on Digital Rights and Freedom of Expression Online and accompanying PowerPoints.
The presentations would then be shared with lawyers selected by Media Defence, along with the summary modules. The trainer would then host a discussion session, on 22 July and another on 23 July 2021 via Zoom with the participating lawyers. The sessions will focus on the cases the lawyers are working on and facilitate peer-to-peer knowledge sharing.
Media Defence will coordinate the logistics with the participants in collaboration with the trainer.
- The trainer will participate in a “kick-off” call with Media Defence to plan the outcomes, content and structure of the presentation and discussion sessions;
- The trainer will read and attain sufficient level of familiarity with the training modules;
- The trainer will review the learning outcomes for the training set by Media Defence, and may provide comments and feedback;
- The trainer may be asked to provide feedback on the pre- and post-event surveys to ensure they capture the relevant information;
- A debrief meeting with Media Defence for feedback.
- The trainer will produce a presentation of at least 30 minutes on each of the summary modules (ten in total), involving the PowerPoint presentations adapted as necessary, voice and video
- The trainer will facilitate two discussion sessions, based on feedback gathered by Media Defence on learning objectives;
- The trainer will help ensure participants feel welcomed and involved, including introducing engaging elements for responding to those with weaker internet connections.
- 1 June 2021: Deadline for submission of proposal
- 15 June 2021: Consultancy will begin with kick-off call, followed by production of the ten presentations on video.
- 22-23 July: Discussion sessions to take place on Zoom.
- Strong demonstrated knowledge of freedom of expression with in-depth knowledge and experience of Francophone West and Central Africa, relevant regional courts and digital rights.
- Significant previous experience of developing, leading and facilitating training in French.
- Availability to provide the deliverables within the expected timeline.
How to apply
Please submit the following documents in English or French to email@example.com:
- CV including previous relevant work undertaken.
- Quotation broken down in line with the deliverables (£).
Terms of references:
Journalist Mamunur Rashid Nomani, editor of the local online news portal Barishal Khobor, has been charged with violating Bangladesh’s Digital Security Act (DSA), following an accusation claiming that he secretly filmed the mayor of Barisal and his family. Nomani rejects this, alleging instead that he and two of his acquaintances – Kamrul Mridha, working for […]
As part of Media Defence’s project Empowering Women in Digital Rights Advocacy, we are building a strong legal defence network in sub-Saharan Africa. To achieve this goal, we are providing financial assistance to organisations to establish legal aid units or media defence centres. We are excited to announce that, as part of this project, we are extending […]
This year marks Media Defence’s 15th anniversary. To celebrate this milestone, we will be taking a look at the ways in which freedom of expression has been threatened around the world, and how we have sought to protect it. The internet has become an essential part of modern life. It has transformed the way we […]