Purpose of the consultancy contract
The purpose of the consultancy contract is for a French-speaking trainer to create recorded presentations and host discussions sessions for lawyers in West and Central Africa on digital rights and freedom of expression online.
Media Defence’s vision is a world where journalists no longer face legal challenges that threaten their ability to report freely and independently on issues of public interest, allowing citizens to be better informed, able to hold those in power to account.
Media Defence’s mission is to ensure legal protection of journalists and media workers under threat for reporting on issues of public interest, in the belief that freedom of expression is essential.
One of Media Defence’s core activities is the delivery of litigation surgeries in East, West and Southern Africa. These litigation surgeries aim to increase the knowledge, skills and confidence of lawyers to litigate digital rights and online freedom of expression cases at national and regional courts.
Francophone West and Central Africa Litigation Surgery
Media Defence is looking to hire a French-speaking consultant to record presentations litigation surgery on digital rights and freedom of expression online. The trainer would develop these presentations in collaboration with Media Defence based on the Summary Modules on Digital Rights and Freedom of Expression Online and accompanying PowerPoints.
The presentations would then be shared with lawyers selected by Media Defence, along with the summary modules. The trainer would then host a discussion session, on 22 July and another on 23 July 2021 via Zoom with the participating lawyers. The sessions will focus on the cases the lawyers are working on and facilitate peer-to-peer knowledge sharing.
Media Defence will coordinate the logistics with the participants in collaboration with the trainer.
- The trainer will participate in a “kick-off” call with Media Defence to plan the outcomes, content and structure of the presentation and discussion sessions;
- The trainer will read and attain sufficient level of familiarity with the training modules;
- The trainer will review the learning outcomes for the training set by Media Defence, and may provide comments and feedback;
- The trainer may be asked to provide feedback on the pre- and post-event surveys to ensure they capture the relevant information;
- A debrief meeting with Media Defence for feedback.
- The trainer will produce a presentation of at least 30 minutes on each of the summary modules (ten in total), involving the PowerPoint presentations adapted as necessary, voice and video
- The trainer will facilitate two discussion sessions, based on feedback gathered by Media Defence on learning objectives;
- The trainer will help ensure participants feel welcomed and involved, including introducing engaging elements for responding to those with weaker internet connections.
- 1 June 2021: Deadline for submission of proposal
- 15 June 2021: Consultancy will begin with kick-off call, followed by production of the ten presentations on video.
- 22-23 July: Discussion sessions to take place on Zoom.
- Strong demonstrated knowledge of freedom of expression with in-depth knowledge and experience of Francophone West and Central Africa, relevant regional courts and digital rights.
- Significant previous experience of developing, leading and facilitating training in French.
- Availability to provide the deliverables within the expected timeline.
How to apply
Please submit the following documents in English or French to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- CV including previous relevant work undertaken.
- Quotation broken down in line with the deliverables (£).
Terms of references:
Women’s History Month: Journalists who inspire us
Threats and violence against women journalists endanger important democratic values, including freedom of expression and the right to information. Despite significant risks, women continue to investigate abuses of power—and we applaud those who are laying the groundwork for a better future. Whether covering instability wrought by war or how corruption impacts local farmers, every journalist […]
We’re recruiting: Legal Officer
About Media Defence Media Defence is a charity that helps media to defend their rights. We support independent media, journalists and citizen journalists who are under legal threat by making sure that lawyers are available to defend them. We engage in strategic litigation to improve the regulatory environment for media freedom, make grants to organisations […]
Les lois sur les “fake news” sont-elles le meilleur moyen de lutter contre la désinformation?
En décembre 2021, la Grèce a rejoint la liste croissante des pays qui légifèrent contre les “fausses nouvelles” (ou « fake news » en anglais). La modification du code pénal vise à poursuivre les citoyens grecs qui diffusent de fausses informations pendant la pandémie de COVID-19. Tout citoyen diffusant de fausses informations sur la santé publique risque […]