|Location:||Hybrid / London|
We combine home working and office-based working to suit individual and organisational needs
|Salary:||£34,320 – £40,350|
|Hours:||37.5 hours, occasional evening work|
|Responsible to:||Development Director|
|Chief Executive Officer; Finance and Operations team; Legal team; Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Officer; Development team, Capacity building team; donors and partners|
About Media Defence
Media Defence is a charity that helps the media defend their rights. We support independent media, journalists and citizen journalists who are under legal threat by making sure that lawyers are available to defend them. We engage in strategic litigation to improve the regulatory environment for media freedom, make grants to organisations in various countries to run media defence programmes, and build the capacity of the lawyers and organisations we work with on issues of media law.
Media Defence was set up in 2008 and has established itself as a leader in the field. To date, we have supported over 1,300 cases, helping hundreds of journalists in over 110 countries. Our work has helped prevent over 300 years of detention for media workers and avoided £500m in damages. We have supported 40 partners and have trained 144 lawyers.
About the role
We are looking for a proactive, dynamic and experienced Fundraising Officer with a track record of success in raising five-figure and six-figure sums from grant making trusts and foundations and/or governments, including solid experience in writing funding proposals.
You will be an effective communicator with an analytical and strategic mind, excellent writing, editing and proofreading abilities, alongside comprehensive IT skills. You will be able to effectively communicate technical legal activities and results in a clear and concise manner.
In this role, you will play a key role in achieving our fundraising target and reporting back our impact to donors. You will identify new fundraising opportunities from charitable trusts and foundations and statutory sources, write funding proposals and contribute to the implementation/updating of Media Defence’s fundraising strategy. Beyond core funding, you will also work with the wider team and external partners to draw up projects to pitch to funders. You will show initiative, flexibility and team spirit.
Your understanding of the international human rights/media/legal charity sector, with focus on securing income from trusts and foundations and/or governments, will enable you to provide insight into specialist areas, supporting and leading on proposal development as well as managing and evaluating approaches to leverage high success rates in securing funding, and scoping out opportunities.
- Develop tailored, focused and deliverable proposals for core and project funding
- Research new opportunities and support the development and maintenance of relationships to secure funding
- Working closely with the Finance and Operations Director and Development Director, coordinate and write reports to donors on projects and activities that have been funded
- Contribute to the development of Media Defence’s fundraising strategy
- Support stewardship activities such as donor-engagement events
- Represent Media Defence at external events and meetings
- Identify and carry out any other duties which fall within the scope, spirit and purpose of the post as requested
- Educated to at least degree level
- Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills, suited to preparing professional funding proposals of the highest standard
- Proven experience with prospecting and securing major donations from trusts and foundations
- Positive and can-do attitude, creative, flexible and enthusiastic, with a commitment to excellence and professionalism
- Proficient IT user including Microsoft Office Packages, internet and email
- Excellent oral communication skills
- Highly organised, with attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines
- Experience using project information and data from Excel or database to inform bids or reports
- Experience of and an interest in international human rights, law or journalism
- High level of personal integrity and commitment to the values of the organisation
- Ability to work flexibly and collaboratively to tight deadlines
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
- Ability to manage a varied workload
- Proven experience of working with, and relating to, a diverse range of people and a pleasant, diplomatic manner and disposition in interacting with colleagues at all levels, as well as with Media Defence partners
- Proven ability to organise and manage competing priorities
- Right to work in the UK
- Experience of, and an interest in, working for a ‘not for profit’ and in a human rights environment would be an advantage
- Good working knowledge of (written) French or Spanish
- Pension: Contributory pension scheme (employer matched contribution up to max. 8%)
- Annual leave: 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays
- Opportunity to carry over five days into the following annual leave year
- Day’s start/finish time is flexible
- Early finish on Fridays (16:00), and 14:00 the first Friday of each month
- Friendly and supportive team culture
- On joining Media Defence, all employees are automatically able to access professional support through our Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) provided by Health Assured Limited and through a digital health app, Peppy
- We offer an enhanced maternity and paternity leave package
- We provide a range of training and development tools to offer support our employees to improve or develop skills and knowledge for the benefit of both the individual and the organisation
Equality and diversity are fundamental to our mission. We are committed to the recruitment and retention of individuals from diverse backgrounds and who reflect the diverse communities in which we operate.
If you are interested in applying for this role, please email your CV and covering letter referencing ‘Fundraising Officer’ to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Welcome to the latest instalment of our Partners blog series. In this series, we interview our partners from around the world about their critical work in protecting freedom of expression. This time our communications coordinator Anoushka Schellekens, spoke to Santosh Sigdel, rights activist, and co-founder of our newest partner organisation, Digital Rights Nepal (DRN). Santosh discusses […]
Journalist Mamunur Rashid Nomani, editor of the local online news portal Barishal Khobor, has been charged with violating Bangladesh’s Digital Security Act (DSA), following an accusation claiming that he secretly filmed the mayor of Barisal and his family. Nomani rejects this, alleging instead that he and two of his acquaintances – Kamrul Mridha, working for […]
As part of Media Defence’s project Empowering Women in Digital Rights Advocacy, we are building a strong legal defence network in sub-Saharan Africa. To achieve this goal, we are providing financial assistance to organisations to establish legal aid units or media defence centres. We are excited to announce that, as part of this project, we are extending […]