Vacancy: Finance and Administration Officer
Finance and Administration Officer
Responsible to: Finance and Operations Director
Salary range: £28,000 - £33,000
Key relationships: Finance and Operations Director, Legal and Grants Officer
Location: MLDI, the Foundry, 17 Oval Way, London SE11 5RR
Hours: 37.5 hours (flexible), occasional evening and weekend work.
Deadline: 5 p.m., 3rd of April, 2019.
Download full job description (PDF).
About the role
The Media Legal Defence Initiative is a charity that helps journalists defend their rights. We support independent media, journalists and bloggers who are under legal threat by making sure that lawyers are available to defend them. We engage in strategic litigation to improve the regulatory environment for media freedom, make grants to organisations in various countries to run media defence programmes, and build the capacity of the lawyers and organisations we work with on issues of media law. MLDI was set up in 2008 and has established itself as a leader in the field.
We are looking for a highly motivated, detail oriented and flexible team player for this varied and exciting role. As the Finance and Administration Officer you will provide finance, bookkeeping, and administration support to MLDI, processing and maintaining all financial records, data and payroll, helping us grow as an organisation while maintaining the smooth day-to-day running of the office.
- Degree in Accounting/Finance and at least four years’ experience working in a similar role within the Charity sector.
- Proven experience with all aspects of Sage 50 accounts, Sage Payroll RTI Submissions.
- Proven financial accounting (including foreign currency transactions) experience with the ability to demonstrate excellent numerical and financial awareness.
- Competent IT user, conversant in Excel and other Office systems.
- Highly organised with proven experience of working across teams and with conflicting priorities.
- Proven ability to work accurately and pay attention to detail, including in record keeping and data management.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills, fluency in English, excellent interpersonal skills and a pleasant, diplomatic manner in interacting with colleagues at all levels, and MLDI stakeholders.
- Excellent analytical skills, including ability to interpret data.
- Able to work effectively in a team and on own initiative.
- Right to work in the UK.
- Experience of, and an interest in, international human rights, law, journalism.
- Good working knowledge (spoken and written) of Arabic, French, Portuguese, Russian or Spanish.
To apply, please submit your CV and a cover letter (maximum two pages) outlining how you meet the person specification to email@example.com by 5 p.m. on 3rd April 2019.
Please note: CVs without a covering letter will not be considered. We will only contact shortlisted candidates.
MLDI is an equal opportunities employer committed to selecting candidates for employment based on aptitude and ability.