Vacancy: Finance and Admin Assistant
We are recruiting for a Finance and Admin Assistant to join our small, friendly team based in Vauxhall, South London.
The Media Legal Defence Initiative is a charity that helps journalists defend their rights. For ten years we have supported independent media, journalists and bloggers who are under legal threat by ensuring that lawyers are available to defend them. We engage in strategic litigation to improve the regulatory environment for media freedom, make grants to organisations in various countries to run media defence programmes, and build the capacity of the lawyers and organisations we work with on issues of media law.
Finance and Administration Assistant
Responsible to: Finance and Operations Director
Salary range: £20,000 - £24,000
Deadline: Friday 4 January 2019, 12 noon (UK time)
Key relationships: CEO, Finance and Operations Director, Finance and Admin Officer, Legal and Grants officer
Location: MLDI, the Foundry, 17 Oval Way, London SE11 5RR
Hours: 37.5 hours (flexible), occasional evening and weekend work
Applicants should submit CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday 4th January, 2019 at 12 noon.
Day-to-day finance, bookkeeping, and administration support to MLDI by providing administrative assistance to the organisation and maintaining smooth day to day running of the office. You will also be involved in processing and maintaining all financial records and data accurately using Sage 50 Accounts. Assisting the Finance and Operations Director, Finance and Admin Officer and CEO; as necessary.
- Minimum A Level Accounting
- Previous experience (minimum one year) in a similar role
- Proven experience of working with an accounting package
- Highly organised, combining numerical accuracy with attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines
- Self-motivated and able to work on own initiative with a flexible and adaptable attitude to work
- Proficient IT skills including Microsoft Office Packages, internet and email
- Willingness to undertake further training and/or learn new skills where appropriate
- Experience of, and an interest in, international human rights, law, journalism, charities
- Good working knowledge (spoken and written) of French, Russian or Spanish
- Experience in Charity Accounting
MLDI is an equal opportunities employer committed to selecting candidates for employment based on aptitude and ability.