MLDI’s will provide legal aid to ensure that journalists, bloggers and media outlets have an effective legal defence when cases are launched against them. We strongly believe that legal cases are often brought against journalists with no purpose other than to harass and silence them, and we want to ensure that journalists have the means to defend such cases.
In addition, MLDI wants to ensure that journalists and bloggers whose right to freedom of expression has been violated have access to legal remedies. For example, if a journalist has been beaten up by police in the exercise of his journalistic duties, we will consider providing him or her with legal assistance to ensure that he or she can bring legal action.
MLDI will provide support to all applications for support that fall within our mandate to the best of our financial ability.
However, we will prioritise cases that have the following characteristics:
- There is a real risk that the case will result in the imprisonment of the journalist concerned;
- There is a real risk that the case will result in the bankruptcy of the media outlet or journalist concerned;
- There is a real risk that the case will end in the closure of the media outlet concerned;
- MLDI is the only realistic avenue to provide the assistance required;
- The case is of potential strategic importance
If you are unsure whether you qualify, please submit an application or get in touch and our staff will advise you.